Friday, March 13, 2009

Twisted

This is a picture of a piece of art that was towards the front of our apartment complex in Pudong; it was on the path that we always took when we were coming in or leaving.

You can see in the pictures, it is surrounded by a small moat of water, and you can see the reflection of the piece in the water. At night, the lights would shine on the piece and the water would have a red tint.

I always enjoyed watching my perspective of the piece change as I walked by. I would try to 'untwist' the twisted piece.

For the other mathies reading this, I'm pretty sure the piece is topographically equivalent to a torus, not a mobius strip.


From another angle:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you sure it's not a mobius strip? I guess I can't see it all. I actually remember that from Mr. Scott. I don't think anyone else in that class does, but I do. How bout them apples:)
And of course I related it to food...a torus is like a beautiful donut and the funky mobius strip is a degenerate rubberband.....